notes from the church files.
Christmas Day, 1903, the church was ready for use, although
there were no chairs. Boxes and planks were used. The
chairs and lining for the walls of the church were put in the
following year, 1904. By this time the road from Haines was
ready, so part of the lumber was brought from Haines by horses
and wagons. The first step had been the bringing of 1000
to 2000 feet of lumber by barge to Jones point, then canoes
from Klukwan made trip after trip. If there was no wind to
help, the men tied ropes to the canoes and pulled them
upstream from the shore.
& Mrs. Personeus were the first A/G missionaries to
minister in Klukwan. During the mid-twenties, when the
Presbyterian pulpit was not being filled, they were invited
into the village to minister. In 1979, Bonnie and Gary
Davidson became full-time pastors and moved into the village.
The church was badly in need of repairs by then.
resources. "Frontiers of
Faith" by Anna Lee Conti, granddaughter of the
Personeuses, available from www.amazon.com.
"A Four Year-Old and A Prayer -- a Missionary's
Journey," by Alevene Lantz. It has some
pictures from Klukwan in it, and tells about some of their
trips from Haines to minister in Klukwan.